A Field Guide to the Suzuki GT550
Model Year 1976 (A)
Please refer to the Country Specific Versions section for additional information about machines sold into your market.
- As previously detailed very late 'M' and early 'A' engines fitted with the SCEM barrels had the carburettor main jet changed for the left cylinder from #102.5 to #105.
- De-rating on 48.0 DIN hp at 7,500 rev (previously 48.5 DIN hp)
- Softer, horizontally ribbed rubber grips were used on the handlebars (57211-28600 for the left and 57110-34600 for the right).
- Shorter front fender (53100-31703) with only one fender stay.
- The highly polished aluminium "SUZUKI" logo on the tank was now san-serif and secured with screws.
- The RAM AIR system logo is glued on most A-models
- From engine number 71022 the gear ratio was changed (see below)
- Second and third gears are strengthened as per USA Suzuki Service Bulletin #29 may be viewed at this link.
- The individual silencers now had 8 instead of the earlier 5 spot welds on the internal dividers in the the non-NA models having SCEM fitted barrels.
- Ignition, starter motor, alternator and regulator by 'Nippon Denso' as standard in most markets.
- Always on headlamp as per USA Suzuki Service Bulletin #31 may be viewed at this link.
- The passenger grab rail was optional in most markets.
48.0 DIN hp at 7,500 RPM (EU models)
- 1st gear: 2,333 (previously 2,846)
- 2nd gear: 1.632 (previously 1.736)
- 3rd gear: 1,364 (previously 1,363)
- 4th Gear: 1.125 (previously 1.125)
- 5th gear: 0.962 (previously 0.923)
Final Drive Ratio: 15/36 (EU) 16/40(North America)
Painted parts: Tank, side covers
Colours (varied by market):
- Candy Rose/Targa Red (Suzuki paint code 00U)
- Black (Suzuki paint code 019) outside of NA
- Forest Green (Suzuki paint code 00X) in NA
(Each with silver and gold trim lines on the tank)