Previous, Next

Regal Red - Tin, Frame and Wheels

  1. Starting Point
  2. Engine
  3. Tin, Frame and Wheels
  4. Other Things
  5. End Game


With the bike stripped down, it was clear that the frame in the area of the right foot peg would need some work, as would the upper rear damper mounts as the threads had been stripped on both sides. These were both repaired by Trillion Industries here in Calgary. The foot peg damage is common with this model, and if you click on the photo of the foot peg centre and below, you can 'click' through the series of photos they took of the repair process.

The finished frame and the rest of the painted bits were then powder coated at Top Gun Coatings here in Calgary, and I started to put things back together.

As is often the case, water had collected in the fork ears above the triple tree pinch bolts and over the many years the bike had stood idle, corrosion had taken its toll. I had a set of the correct tubes from CruizingImage (no longer listed for sale unfortunately) that I had been saving and so just replaced the bad ones.

GT750 brake pedals all look the same, but I noticed that for these early J's, the brake pedal pivot fitting is narrower than later styles by about 2mm. If you try to use a later pedal and then tighten up the foot-peg on the pivot post, you lock up the pedal ! In the photo below, the early one is on the bottom, and the later style is on the top. A useful thing to check before you have the old parts re-chromed !

The front fender was in poor shape. Water gets trapped between the front fork brace built into the fender, and the fender skin and this area often rots. The early drum braked fenders are wider than the fenders used for the disc braked models, so your choices are to either repair or replace.

There are two styles of rear tail light bridge and fender. I'm not sure when they changed exactly, but frames earlier than roughly 19000 had longer bridges and the holes in the rear fender matched. Again, just something to double check before having parts re-chromed if you are trying to mix and match parts. In the photo below, the older, longer style is on the left and the later 'short' style is on the right.

I needed to make space for some other work, and so had to get the frame mobile, so wheels were next. After some TIG repair work (thank you Art !) on the front drum edge, the front and rear drums were laced into alloy rims. A friend of mine, has a tire changing machine and so to try to minimise the chance of damage to the alloy rims I took the assembled wheels and tire to Drew and we spent a pleasant couple of hours fitting the tires and tubes. As in previous builds, I used the IRC GS-11 tires as I like the look of them, and the tire changing tool certainly makes the job easy. With the wheels fitted, I wheeled the bike out into the -20 C weather for a photo !

Previous, Next